Sunday, September 23, 2012

THAILAND KUAY CHAP

 

Other than Thai clear tom yum soup, I guess this is the second Thai food that I am so so in love with - Thai kuay chap. 

The taste of the soup is so concentrated, like it has been boiled for hours and hours.  The add in of spring onions and coriander leaves do so well with the taste of the soup.  The texture of the kuay chap is something like our kuey teow. It has two types actually, one is like our kuey teow but more broad and the other type is like scrolls.

Some kuay chap are served with beef lean meat, chicken breast, duck breast and/or braised pork knuckle.  I particularly like the serving with duck breast, the combination is too fine to describe although kuay chap is nothing than a super ordinary soup noodle that Thais have for their breakfast / lunch / tea break / dinner / supper, just like our clear soup noodle.

Another special thing about this food is the seasoning.  It is served with a combination of seasoning of your own choice - chili flakes, chopped peanuts, fish sauce and sugar.  I can accept the first three but not the sugar.  I normally will only choose chili flakes.  The addition of chili flakes is just to add up the spiciness of the soup.

I found a neighbourhood food stall that sells Thai kuay chap.  I tasted it on last Friday, quite similar to the ones that I had in Thailand.  Nice...

No comments: