Sunday, July 10, 2011

BERSIH 2.0 大集会




There was a scheduled and planned peace walk for democracy (BERSIH Rally) on 9 July 2011, from 2pm to 4 pm, at numerous assembly spots and eventually united in Jalan Pudu. The main reasons for the BERSIH rally are:


1. Clean the electoral roll


2. Reform postal ballot


3. Use of indelible ink


4. Minimum 21 days campaign period


5. Free and fair access to media


6. Strengthen public institutions


7. Stop corruption


8. Stop dirty politics


Well, these are too complicated for me to understand and I don't have much interested to join the rally actually. Although I didn't join the rally, I did give all protesters my 100% attention, salutation and respect for their efforts to fight on behalf of the Rakyat, who think that they have been treated unfairly all the while. It is so undeniable that the rally was a great success, it brought the Rakyat together as one and united, no matter where they were (FYI, the rally was kicked off almost concurrently in Melbourne, NYC, London, HK, Singapore, Taiwan, Turkey and many more countries).



The most that I watched on YouTube besides the situation of the rally was the police force. Personally, I think they were no better than samseng who fight by the roadside! When they couldn't control the crowd, they chose to beat up the Rakyat! Is this what they learn in cadet school for crisis handling?



I just hate the police force! I still remember my very bad experience with the traffic police. The incident happened a few years back, during the riot for Anwar Ibrahim in front of the Hang Tuah Monorial Station. Protesters were in red, assembled to fight for justice for Anwar Ibrahim (I couldn't remember what happened to him. From the way I tell you my story, you can read that I am not into politics!).



So coincidence, Prudential Asia was having an event and staff were required to wear RED shirts (FYI, Red is Prudential!). After work, I was driving and heading to the monorail station to drop off my colleague. The truck in front me headed to the same direction and drove into Jalan Hang Tuah. Who would actually read the news before leaving office and who would then know there was a riot going on? Definitely, I was one of those who cared! I followed the truck in front of me and intended to go into Jalan Hang Tuah. The traffic police on duty stopped my car and started scolding at me. I didn't wind down the window and I couldn't hear a word from him. All I knew was he was scolding like hell at me! When I showed no reaction and intended to drive into the road (Hey, come on... I was already in the middle of the road, already more than half the way to reach the road, of course I would choose to continue going into it!), he kicked the back of my car and continued scolding! WTF???!!! Is this what a police should behave? When he couldn't control me, he chose a brutal way to show his power! His behaviour is nothing better than a samseng! Just because I was too scared to speak up and fight for my right as the Rakyat, I chose to be silent...



I don't think there is any improvements after all, I am still seeing the same way of handling the Rakyat when they can't control them. After so many years... they are still the same. My silence has made them think they are so empowered to do anything they like and they can't be challenged! I am so regretting my cowardliness...



Hidup Hidup, Hidup Rakyat! Thanks to Bersih, you made me awaken and encouraged me to stand up for my rights as the Rakyat!

No comments: