Sunday, October 7, 2012

IS THERE A RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN A GOOD ENGLISH NAME AND HIS/HER ABILITY TO CONVERSE IN ENGLISH WELL?

We've been cracking our heads trying to shortlist some nice English names with good meanings for 囡囡.  We're not really into the origin of the names, we just wish to have a decent one with good meanings.

A friend commented (which I think it's very superficial and quite humiliating), 'You put up a bombastic English name for your baby but she speaks lousy English'. 

Is there any relationships in between these two subjects?  A person with an English name must be a person who speaks good English?  I don't get it! 

What if a person who speaks good Mandarin, does this mean the person cannot be having an English name and his/her name must be a bombastic Chinese name?  He/She might be having an extraordinary Chinese name, eg. Tan Ah Kow or Tan Ah Kiew!

I think this is rather the level of respect you give to the parents who give their babies a name and the babies who are having the name.  Speaking good English does not bring you to a better personality of yours, which I personally think this weigh much more.  I would prefer my babies to have good personalities instead of speaking only good English in order to have an English name!

Sorry if I have offended you too!

No comments: